iThenticate - Verification of the originality of text passages
Why do we check for plagiarism?
- Our faculty, like other medical schools, is increasingly confronted with plagiarism allegations.
- To counteract this situation, which is problematic not only for the doctoral students, but also for supervisors and ultimately for the entire medical faculty, the faculty has decided to subject dissertations to a plagiarism check before they are submitted to the doctoral office.
- This is intended to prevent plagiarism problems in future dissertations.
- The Faculty of Medicine therefore obliges supervisors to check the dissertations of their doctoral students with the plagiarism recognition software "iThenticate" before submission.
- To assist in the preparation of a dissertation and to prevent plagiarism, the Faculty of Medicine provides a citation guideline (download at the bottom of the page).
Who gets an account?
- iThenticate accounts are only available for thesis supervisors - not for doctoral students
- via the supervisor's iThenticate account, each thesis is checked for text fragments that match with other papers
- Since the review takes place before the opening of the doctoral procedure, doctoral students are given a opportunity to revise their thesis once in order to change suspicious passages without having to fear consequences.
- After a revision, the dissertation is analyzed for a second and last time. The version last reviewed must match the submitted version.
- When submitting the dissertation, the doctoral candidate must submit the supervisor's statement (see submission) regarding the review!
Short description of the procedure
- the supervisor of the dissertation can apply for an account at email@example.com
- documents can only be uploaded by the MMRS! An upload by supervisors or students is not possible
- Please send doctoral theses to be reviewed as Word or pdf to firstname.lastname@example.org, taking into account the following information:
- Please submit only the main part of the dissertation (without title page, table of contents, bibliography, CV, affidavit, etc.)
- Please leave legends of illustrations, tables and table captions in the thesis
- Images can remain in the document
- Please tell us the first and last name of the doctoral candidate as we safe each submission! For data protection reasons, the thesis will only be uploaded with the candidates initials and without the title.
You will be informed by e-mail as soon as the thesis has been uploaded and is available in your account.
The MMRS does not analyse manuscripts of papers, habilitation thesis or master's thesis.
Evaluation of the test report
- To get to the test report of the dissertation to be reviewed, please click on the percentage numbers next to the document
- Attention: These are no indication whether the thesis is plagiarized or not! It only shows the percentage of matching text fragments from different sources. Of course, these can also contain correct quotations, common phrases, technical terms, etc.!
- Please read the test report carefully. Only the supervisor can judge whether the marked passages contain plagiarized text fragments.
- In many cases "Material and Methods" is about proven methods and their descriptions. Thus, it may be difficult to rephrase these parts, which may lead to a more similarities with published sources. Please take this into account when evaluating the report.
- If necessary, the PhD student has the opportunity to revise the thesis once. Please discuss the results of the analysis with him/her. After the revision, you can have the thesis uploaded for a second and last time to be analyzed.
After reviewing the most recent report, please fill out and sign the form for comments. This must be submitted with the thesis.
You do not have to hand in the test report! It can be viewed online by the MMRS if required.
The guide below contains detailed instructions on how to use iThenticate.