As not all departments of the LMU's Medical Faculty are able to establish a core area with a graduate program (i.e. International Health, Oral Sciences), future PhD students now have the possibility of applying for a tailor-made PhD "Medical Research" within their area of research.
This is only applicable for students whose research project does not fit into one of the listed core areas! If, for example, you are interested in public health, you must apply to the core area and cannot apply for an individual PhD.
Taking the Examination Regulations and the "Eignungsfeststellungverfahren" into account, it is possible to apply for this as follows:
- 31.01. for the following summer semester
- 15.07. for the following winter semester
In order to be accepted as a PhD student of "Medical Research", you must :
- have a qualifying degree in medicine, veterinary medicine, natural sciences, pharmacy, public health or a related field,
- have an LMU supervisor and a thesis advisory committee (TAC),
- have a project that you will be carrying out at the LMU, and
- be able to fulfill the curricular requirements stipulated in the examination regulations.
Step 1: "Helpdesk"
Before a student applies as a Ph.D. student, the supervisor should make an appointment with the MMRS office to talk about what he/she can contribute to the Ph.D. program (methodological expertise that can be shared with other students in the program, lecture series, etc.), the potential student's eligibility for the program, what documents need to be handed in and on the requirements that need to be fulfilled during the three years.
Step 2: Application procedure
Application is only possible via the online application tool! The following documents will be required for upload during the application process:
- Curriculum vitae
- High school diploma
- Bachelor's degree (certificate and transcripts)
- Master's degree (certificate and transcripts) - if applicable
- Proof of English proficiency (can also be submitted within the first year of your Ph.D., upon acceptance)
If you do not submit proof of proficiency within the first year, you will be exmatriculated from the program
- Research proposal (8 pages, excluding title page, references)
- Planned curriculum, showing how the 30 ECTS in course work will be completed
Please note: you can only upload PDF or JPG files (max. 5MB)!
- You should name the three members of your Thesis Advisory Committee (TAC), whereas your supervisor is the first member and his/her specificiation is mandatory
- You will also be asked to name two referees to write you letters of recommendation. They will receive an automatic request to upload their recommendation, once you have submitted their contact details. The first referee must be your Ph.D. supervisor - he/she will also be asked to describe both the recruitment and your selection process.
Step 3: Eligibility check & selection process
After the MMRS Office has checked the documents for eligibility, the application will be forwarded to the Doctoral Committee for evaluation of the candidate's suitability. The Doctoral Committee may conduct an interview with the candidate, before making a final decision on acceptance.
Step 4: Acceptance into the Ph.D. program
The MMRS Office will inform the you of the decision. If you have been accepted, the Office will issue a letter of acceptance, with which you can enrol in "Medical Research".
Timeline for the application period for the summer semester
- 31.01 - Application deadline
- 31.01 - Deadline for recommendation letters
- By the beginning of March, the review of all applications and decision of Doctoral Committee (potential interviews with candidates will also take place in this time frame) will have taken place
- By the middle of March, letters of acceptance will be sent to accepted candidates - you can then enrol in the Ph.D. Medical Research for the summer semester
Timeline for the application period for the winter semester
- 15.07 - Application deadline
- 15.07 - Deadline for recommendation letters
- By the beginning of September, the review of all applications and decision of Doctoral Committee (potential interviews with candidates will also take place in this time frame) will have taken place
- By the middle of September, letters of acceptance will be sent to accepted candidates - you can then enrol in the Ph.D. Medical Research for the winter semester
During the 3-year Ph.D. program, the MMRS Office
- is responsible for the administration of the student's progress
- documents all acquired ECTS
- archives the Doctoral Supervision Agreement, Target Agreements and amendments thereof
- prepares the final documents once the student is ready to graduate
During the 3-year Ph.D. program, the student
- is responsible for acquiring the necessary ECTS and submitting proof thereof upon acquisition
- must keep the MMRS Office updated on any changes, etc.