Curriculum and Courses
The Ph.D. Medical Research covers several core areas and the graduate programs of research training groups. In order to offer Ph.D. candidates a broad course spectrum and in order to profit from potential synergies, all areas have come together and created a course catalogue.
All information on the courses (when, content, potential prerequisites, etc.) can be found on the respective pages of the programs, as well as by asking the individual coordinators.
- Ph.D. candidates from a specific core area have precedent over other Ph.D. candidates where limited places are concerned.
- Only the respective coordinator of a given core area can decide on who receives a place in a course. Please always contact the coordinator in order to make sure there is space and/or if prerequisites are required.
- Any events or courses that are or were taken as part of another degree program and contributed toward achieving another academic degree cannot be counted toward the Ph.D. curriculum.
It is possible to collect ECTS in a variety of ways, which are not only limited to actual course participation. The given list shows how many ECTS are awarded for an activity, as well as if there is a maximum number of ECTS that can be awarded for activity (i.e. the supervision of Bachelor or Master students). The list is not complete, but does give a broad overview. If you have any other course types, please ask your respective coordinator if a certain activity can be awarded ECTS and counted towards your required points.
1 ECTS is equivalent to 2 full course or conference days plus the necessary preparation and follow-up, or 30 hours of required work time. A minimum of 0.5 ECTS must be submitted to be credited for an event. ECTS can only be credited in 0.5 increments.
Events that require less than 8 hours of attendance, such as half-day continuing education courses, may be combined with other courses to meet the minimum threshold requirement for 0.5 ECTS.
ECTS for "methods" are accepted for:
- classes, courses or events where you learn a new technique that is required or useful for your project,
- seminar series
- journal clubs
- methods course (e.g. microscopy, FACS, sequencing, database management)
- wet lab courses
- animal courses
- external lab visits
- online methods courses
- establishing a new method in the lab
- invited talks or project presentations e.g. during the visit of another lab (not included are poster presentations or talks at conferences)
ECTS for "methods OR skills" are accepted for:
- supervising students
- writing or reviewing of papers
- supervising a methods course
- programming courses
ECTS for "skills" are accepted for:
- classes, courses or events where you learn “soft skills” that would be useful to you no matter which career path you’ll chose for your future
- e.g. skills courses such as:
- scientific writing
- presentation skills
- business negotiation skills
- consulting training
- classes on the design of posters or talks
- scientific reading
- good scientific practice, etc.
- organizing a retreat or conference
ECTS for "conferences" are accepted for:
- poster presentation or talks at a conference or meeting
- includes online conferences
The following items cannot be part of your curriculum:
- lab meeting talks
- TAC-meeting talks
- progress reports to your TAC members
- German language classes
|Activity||Type of verification||ECTS/ max ECTS||Time frame||Category|
|Seminar series, journal clubs (80% attendance, 1hour/week)||statement by supervisor||0.5||per semester||Methods|
|Seminar series, journal clubs (80% attendance, 2hour/week)||statement by supervisor||1.0||per semester||Methods|
|Method courses and lab course e.g. wet-lab training courses, programming courses (R, Python, etc.), data analysis training||certificate of participation||0.5*||per day (min. 8h)||Methods|
Poster presentation, oral presentation, project presentation (i.e. invited talks)
|statement by supervisor||0.5-1.0 (max 2 out of 30)||each, depending on workload||Methods|
|Animal course (FELASA)||certificate of participation||3.0||each||Methods|
|External lab visits||statement by supervisor||max. 3 out of 30||depending on length||Methods|
|Online Methods course (certified providers only**), e.g. programming, data analysis, software||certificate of participation||1.0||per 30 hours workload||Methods|
|Establishment of new methods in the lab||statement by supervisor||max. 3 out of 30||depending on workload||Methods|
|Methods or Skills|
|Teaching (courses, lectures, etc.)||statement by supervisor||max. 2 out of 30||depending on workload||Methods or Skills|
|Supervising students, paper writing, paper review||statement by supervisor||max. 2 out of 30||depending on workload||Methods or Skills|
|Supervising a Methods course||statement by supervisor||max. 2 out of 30||per day||Methods or Skills|
|Skills courses (soft skills e.g. presentation skills, scientific writing, voice training, marketing, networking etc.)||certificate of participation||0.5*||per day||Skills|
|Organizing a retreat or conference||statement by supervisor||max. 2 out of 30||depending on workload||Skills|
|Conferences, Meetings, Symposia||certificate of participation||0.5*||per day||Conferences|
|Poster presentation/ oral presentation at retreats, conferences or meetings||certificate of participation||0.5 - 1.0||each, depending on workload||Conferences|
|Online conferences||certificate of participation||0.5||per day||Conferences|
* plus potentially additional workload (preparation, review, studying for exams)
** certified providers:
Upon request, other providers may be taken into consideration.
- Template for a Certificate of Participation (148 KByte)